Assessing engineering capabilities in energy
- Support increased consumer scale
- Take advantage of newer mobile capabilities
- Support feature development at pace
- Optimise extensibility and reusability
We were engaged by a leading integrated essential service provider to review their mobile engineering capabilities. Our client was looking to continue their investment in Digital channels and the supporting services that will enable them to modify existing and create new product offerings. The ongoing rate and cost of change was also of importance.
As part of establishing a new organisational design and a focus on a team member’s craft, there was an opportunity to assess and make changes to how teams delivered a customer facing mobile experience.
We undertook a 4 phase approach over a period of 6 weeks. Our phased approach consisted of an initial discovery of the current state, an ideation and gap analysis phase before considering and documenting our recommendations.
Four review cycles with interviewed stakeholders were undertaken as the current state was documented, and as recommendations were considered. Undertaking this review process produced the following benefits:
- Leveraged the combined knowledge and experience of the mobile engineering team
- Ensured team members views were incorporated into the final report
- Increased alignment between the recommendations, and the team these recommendations affect
- Increased the probability of the team successfully implementing the recommendations
DigIO delivered a final report and executive presentation establishing the current state and 79 recommendations, together with relative priorities including critical and key recommendations. Recommendations were aligned with corporate and IT strategy, and the pre-established goals of mobile engineering, specifically addressing the following goals:
- Increased consumer scale: How the mobile app and BFF support a usage increase of 1000% or more.
- Next-gen features: How they can take advantage of newer mobile capabilities.
- Expanded feature development: How they can support an increased pace of feature development, considering the implications for the architecture and design, the development and build systems, and how the app is released.
- Optimise extensibility and reusability: How they can reuse components across native and web channels, between mobile channels and how to be more efficient and improve time-to-market.